Every homeowner must do their due diligence to ensure the health and working condition of their HVAC and plumbing systems. To do this successfully, you need to know what you’re looking for and be able to identify signs of an issue or possible water leaks. If we’re talking about leaks, let’s go over some tips for detecting water leaks and damaged plumbing.
- Before you begin your inspection, you should ensure that all of your water-consuming appliances are turned off and tightly closed. Don’t forget your refrigerator too, if it’s the type that makes ice.
- Let all your family members or other home guests know that you’re testing for water leaks, and not to try to use any water for at least a half hour.
- The next step is to locate your water meter, after you’ve ensured that no water is being used within your home.
- Take note of the time and the location of the meter’s needle position on the dial. Write down the position for future reference in your test.
- At this point, you’ll simply need to wait between 15 and 30 minutes before moving on to the next step.
- After about a half hour, check the meter again and take note of any changes in the needle’s position. If the needle position as changed while the water is turned off, you may have just detected a water leak problem somewhere in your home.
If you have found that you have a water leak in your home, you would benefit from having a professional come assess the condition of your plumbing. They’ll also be able to identify where the leak is coming from and recommend next steps for fixing the problem. Ask your neighbors, friends, or family members for recommendations for trusted plumbers that they’ve worked with before. The professional service will give you a full assessment of the condition of your plumbing system and estimate what it would take to fully fix the issue. Remember that leaks will cause your bills to increase and potentially damage walls and other property in your home.
Get in Touch With Mahon Plumbing
Mahon Plumbing has been serving the Baltimore region’s plumbing needs since 1994. We’re ready to offer quality plumbing services and gas installation for both commercial and residential uses. Our tracks and employees are ready to handle the toughest of jobs.
For more information, follow our blog or check us out on Facebook or Twitter. We’re able to offer 24 hour a day, 7 day a week emergency services. Please contact us at 410-766-8566 if you have any questions or are in need of emergency services.